Work Abroad

Students who are interested in working abroad must choose between short-term, frequently or long-term work opportunities. However, one require more research by you, the student, on the country in which you wish to work. Some countries request that before they will consider you for an international position you need to have worked aboard. Most of these opportunities are for students only, and one must be a student at the time of application.

Short-term work refers to three months to half a year or in some few cases one year job.

Frequent work refers to arranged vacation-type jobs, as opposed to professional jobs.

Long-term work refers to professional job engagement for a year or more.


Voluntary Work Abroad

Volunteering abroad can also take on many forms, in terms of cost, time commitment, availability, supervision and type of work. Engagements and Assignments can last from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. Some volunteers pay a large fee which covers their airfare, hostel living expenses abroad while volunteering. Others, however, pay a small fee, have room and expenses covered, but take care of their own airfare. Finally, volunteers in certain organizations are paid a living allowance, and have their transportation covered. Many international volunteer projects encourage and train volunteers to do fundraising before departure to cover their costs.



Internships Abroad

Internships abroad are excellent ways of getting international experience in working abroad. It can take many forms. If one is interested in an internship for academic credit, then one will most likely be looking for a study abroad program that offers internships in conjunction with an academic course. In most cases that indicate that you will not be paid, and that you will be paying for the study abroad program as you would for any other study abroad experience. To transfer credit from a study abroad internship to your university, you will require an official letter from the department that agrees to accept your credit.



Teaching English Abroad

Teaching English Abroad positions are usually advertised as EFL (English as a Foreign Language) as opposed to ESL (English as a Second Language).Almost all positions require a Bachelor’s degree, although it need not be in English or Education. Some positions will request teaching certification (especially those in K-12 international schools), while others will request either a certificate in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or less frequently, a Master’s in TEFL/TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).


Teaching in International K-12 Schools

Teaching programs come with a program fee that include major expenses and usually arrange for housing and job placement. For students without teaching experience or teaching certification, a teaching program may be the most viable option. On the other hand, students with a teaching certification and/or teaching experience, regular job services are a great option. These job listings are usually in schools that are either American, international or bilingual, and seek teachers whose native language is English to teach a variety of subjects, including English as a Foreign Language (EFL). These positions frequently require a Degree and sometimes teaching certification (depending on the location or the nature of the program). Some schools would also like you to have had two years teaching experience.


TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certificates

This certificates come from 114 hour (minimum) courses offered around the world by various organizations. The best-known and most-requested certificate is the University of Cambridge Royal Society of Arts (RSA) CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). Courses to obtain this certificate last from one-month to a year and are offered in several locations. The courses are usually cost depending on the school. The courses are geared toward people who are interested in teaching adults English, and cover the English language awareness, teaching methodology,difficulties in teaching English, classroom management, resources and materials, writing lesson plans, evaluating student levels, and observed teaching. You must be at least 20 years of age to take the course. Taking this course is an excellent way to prepare for going abroad to teach, and increases the likelihood of finding a good job.